Kins is 4
1. The cuddles. She loves to cuddle. I asked her if she's going to still cuddle with me when she's 20 and she said yes. I'm going to show her this as proof and demand those cuddles.
2. That I can explain just about anything to her and she listens so intently.
3. That she can be reasoned with easily.
4. That she's starting to understand well how to stay safe.
5. Her drawings.
6. That even though I still have to bribe her to eat, she actually does it, and we never have any stress over it anymore.
Kins has packed on about 5 pounds in the past year. She is very close to making it to 30 pounds. That puts her at about 10th percentile for weight. She is 37" tall, so about 7th percentile for height. She is showing the most interest in food that she ever has. Which is to say, she might possibly not starve to death if I did not bribe her to eat. She would certainly lose weight, but she might survive. It's the most I've ever been able to say, I'm pretty pleased.
She usually doesn't nap these days, although she seems to need to. She will fall asleep during afternoon stroller rides or else I'll catch her trying to nap at 5 pm or so, late enough that she's up late if she is able to get in a nap. She falls asleep by 8:30 ish if she doesn't nap. When she napped regularly she'd sometimes be up until 10, so I guess she's just in a weird phase where she allllmost doesn't need one at all. Sometimes I have her spend an hour or so of quiet time in her room, and she is good about playing quietly, occasionally sleeping.
She is pretty easy to reason with these days. Having to leave somewhere she's enjoying or stop playing with a toy, if you can explain to her why it needs to happen, she will be ok with it. If she starts throwing a fit at home, I just tell her she's welcome to scream and cry, but she's gonna have to do it in her room because it's too loud. That usually dries the tears right up. Occasionally, (usually in late afternoon when she really should've napped) she can't get it together and I'll have to actually follow through and take her to her room. When that happens she either wants to stay in there awhile and have some alone time, or else she calms down fast and she'll call down, "Okay, I'm all done throwing my fit!".
Here's a quiz that I filled out for her in her 3 year old blog, thought I'd see how the answers have changed.
1. What's the first thing you like to do in the morning after you wake up? "Read." My answer would be do a project. She likes to get up in her high chair away from Big Mac and color, paint, draw, things like that.
2. What's your favorite book? "That book that I wanted you to read me." (Calvin and Hobbes... she has not read Calvin and Hobbes for a year at least...)
3. What is your favorite color? Gray
4. What is your favorite toy? "Um... that one" Looking at one of Big Mac's toys that she doesn't use. In reality, I'd say art supplies.
5. What is your favorite food? "Orange." (On this one she and I agree)
6. What is your favorite TV show? "Dora" She doesn't like watching Dora usually. She doesn't seem to have a favorite right now, something different each time.
7. What is your favorite game? Hide and seek
8. What is your favorite animal? "Giraffe" (I don't usually notice this being true, but it's funny that this was her answer last year.)
9. What is your favorite song? "Frosty the Snowman... but, (sadly) I can't sing the words right. See? Frosty the snowman, gully golly gummm. See? You just heard me sing it wrong, so that means I can't do it."
10. Who is your best friend? Big Mac (awwww)
11. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Bubbles.
12. What is your favorite drink? Pediasure (same answer as last year.)
13. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? "A big truck." I told her I've never seen her do this and asked her what she really likes to take to bed at night. She says, "A big, big, big GIANT truck!" She laughs. This is hilarious.
14. What do you want to be when you grow up? How are you going to make dollars? "I'm going to press buttons," she says. I asked her what kind of buttons. "Laptop buttons." Well, this is possible.15. What is one special thing about you? "Having activity books." Then, she adds, "Standing in wagons is my favorite way to get hurt."
16. How old are you? "Four."
17. What do Mommy and Daddy do after you go to bed? "Go to bed." Sadly, pretty accurate.
18. What do you like best about Max? "Being naughty. That makes me laugh."
An example of a drawing she did. She wanted to see a picture of a mermaid so she could draw one.