Apr 4, 2013

Love

Last night Kins kept calling me back into her bedroom after I had gone downstairs and was attempting to eat a snack and watch Modern Family with Tim. After about the 4th time I went upstairs I started to feel very frustrated. She kept asking me to take her downstairs each time I came up, and I kept telling her no and explaining to her that it was night time and she needed to sleep so we could play tomorrow. I told her that I was tired and wanted to sleep too, and that when she yelled at me, I had to get up and I really didn't want to get up, I wanted to sleep. After my 5th trip or so to her room I contemplated telling her she would go to time out next time she yelled. She started to seem emotional, and I wasn't masking very well that I was feeling frustrated. Not that I was yelling at her, but it was in my voice and face. I carried her to bed and told her a story about a girl named Kins who kept yelling at her mama, even though her mama was sooooo tired and wanted to sit and rest without coming into Kins room over and over. She wasn't any more ready to go to sleep after that story. She begged me to tell her a story about curious george and a giraffe and some other animal. I gave in and got cuddled up with her in bed. I decided to not worry about time anymore and just enjoy cuddling with her, and I thought about how I would probably give anything for her to want to cuddle like that with me in a few years. I started to get into the story and she started to look very calm and sleepy. It seemed that she was feeling my relaxing and it was just what she needed. Suddenly, she sat up, leaned in close, put her hand on my cheek, and said earnestly, "I love you Mama." My heart nearly exploded. Life just doesn't get any better. She says I love you sporadically fairly often, and usually says it back to us if we say it first, but this is the first time I've ever seen that she truly understands exactly what it means.

5 comments:

  1. I visit day-to-day some websites and sites to read articles or reviews, except this web site presents quality based writing.


    Also visit my blog post :: Leeconomy.Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. they do have a way of getting to us don't they....so glad you got to enjoy that precious time with her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is even sweeter than the story you told Kins. Such precious time snuggling. Wish my mother had ever done that with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, so sweet. You were right to just relax and enjoy the time with your little sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is such a sweet girl. Knowing when to stick to strict limits vs give in and just enjoy the little ones is such a tough balancing act. obviously your instincts were spot on that night. such a cute story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails