Surgery

I had my neck lump removed yesterday. I had to be at the hospital at 6 am, which was earlier than I expected. The night before I got to bed around 10:30, since Max doesn't fall asleep before then usually. Then I couldn't sleep for a few hours. So, I was pretty tired. It took around 1.5 hours to check in and get all ready and have my IV put in. My parents came into town, and my mom stayed with the kids. My dad and Tim came with me to the hospital.

When I got taken into the OR they had me get up on the stretcher and lay down. They put some massager things on my calves to prevent blood clots. Then, I felt a little sting when something went into the IV, I was told that was normal. Then I was waking up and feeling really cozy and sleepy. I didn't have any nausea or feel bad at all. Tim and my dad came in not too long after I woke up, and the nurse said I'd get dressed and into a chair for half an hour or so, and then head home. I was home by around noon I think. It was all a pretty smooth process.

I was too wired from just having surgery to be able to nap, but got to bed early and got to sleep in until 10 thanks to my parents. My neck is totally numb currently from about my chin down to below the incision. It's pretty weird. I'm told it may or may not be permanent, I'll just have to wait and see. It's sorta convenient as far as not feeling much pain. I can feel a deep soreness, but nothing on the surface. I wouldn't say I feel great, but not nearly as bad as I thought I might either. Not too shabby.

Even though I have swelling all the way up to my chin nearly, I still notice my neck looks a lot thinner. Turns out even though the lump probably wasn't bigger than an egg yolk, it really was noticeable in my neck.

It turns out the lump was probably a hemangioma, not a thyroglossal duct cyst. It's a collection of blood vessels. They're pretty common in babies, but very rare in adults. My dad was saying only about 100 cases have been reported in adults, although often they're inside, on the liver is a common place, and wouldn't be reported. Same prognosis as the cyst was, less than a 1% chance that it could be cancer, I should get the pathology results back in a week or so.

Comments

  1. so glad all went well...it's nice to have your parents there to help out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad it's all over and out of teh way. your neck does look significantly skinnier already. Speaking of things that lead to being skinny, the vegan chocolate cake recipe blog showed up this time in the "you might also like" part of your blog. Mmm...I really need to get into making that smothered with chocolate ganache on a weekly basis again. I don't know why I ever stopped. Probably the stupidest decision I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like you have a secret in that photo. The not-so-secret is that the lump is gone and you're looking healthy and quite attractive with your skinny neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tooter, that makes me laugh that a chocolate cake recipe shows up as a suggestion for what you might like after a post about a neck lump.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment