I'm having a baby

Like, soon! I'm thinking it's about time to pack my hospital bag, and I've worked up my birth plan. Most of it is kind of pointless, because I'll be able to say what I do and don't want most of the time, and because my midwife knows exactly what I want already, and proved that she is wonderful about making sure I get it all if she can when I had Kins. But, I figure it can't hurt. It's mostly the same as it was with Kins:

We understand that we may need to change our plans if the medical need arises, but these are the things that we want to happen if possible:

During labor
  • I would like no internal vaginal exams, within reason, during my labor
  • I would like to remain mobile and upright during labor with only intermittent monitoring
  • I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. If it's necessary for the health of my baby, I would like a mediolateral episiotomy.
  • I plan on skipping any pain medication or drugs such as pitocin
After the baby is born
  • Please delay cord clamping for 1-2 minutes
  • Tim cut the umblical cord if he wants
  • I would like my baby placed immediately skin-to-skin on my chest with a warm blanket over him.
  • We would prefer that the infant assessment, vitamin K, and eye ointment (Erythromycin?) be performed/administered after an hour or two of bonding/nursing time.
  • Have our baby in the room with us at all times, and if that's not possible, Tim or I will go with him to the nursery.
  • We would not like any vaccines yet
  • We hope to exclusively breast feed, so we won't need bottles
Thank you in advance for helping us to have the best birth experience possible. 

Comments

  1. Good idea to have everything written down ahead of time. Just in case you forget to specify something at the time. Even your midwife might forget some of your wishes if you didn't have it all spelled out for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great plan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great plan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup, sounds like good stuff. Especially the plan to keep being up and mobile for as long as possible. it feels so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment