Nov 30, 2010

Vintage Singer Spartan

I recently acquired this awesome machine whose birthday as best I can tell is 1960.


Isn't it pretty? I had a Brother machine before, one which my mom bought me for $30 10 years ago. I don't sew all that frequently, but I am both short and also sometimes like to get creative. Short meaning I hem a lot of things, it's the rare pair of pants that I don't have to alter.

I took my Brother to a repair man, who I paid $20 to retime it, but that didn't end up fixing the problem. He then sold me a piece of garbage which jammed up nearly every time I tried to use it. He then said it was only for sewing two thin peices of material together, much more and I was going to need an industrial machine which would cost me hundreds of dollars. My Brother had handled such things with ease in the past, so I knew he was sadly misinformed. Or lying. Either which way, the very next day I went and tested my Spartan, and it breezed through my beco hood project that man's machine had failed to sew. I made the purchase for $49 dollars and returned the hunk of junk. The Spartan sews wonderfully so far, and over just about any material and thickness. All while looking pretty.

2 comments:

  1. It is pretty and sturdy, too. Obviously a good buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, I'm thinking ksl is the way to go once we live in a place that's big enough to house a sewing machine. Poor sewing machine guy...he certainly won't be getting my business.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails