Oct 18, 2010

Beco Gemini Carrier

Long story short, I already had a Bjorn carrier. I loved it but it killed my shoulders and basically past the age of a few months it was clearly inferior to the Ergo or the Beco carriers. I bought the Beco last week. It's nice. If you're actually in the market for a carrier you may want to read on because I'm about to ramble about the details of the Bjorn, Beco, and Ergo carriers. If you're not, check out the new carrier. Tim's wearing her in the hip position.


I have a Bjorn carrier already that I used all the time when Munchies was smaller.  After she got to be a few months old she was too heavy to carry comfortably in the Bjorn for more than half an hour, not that that stopped me from using it constantly. It was pretty much a necessity at the grocery store until she could sit up in the cart at around 6 months. My shoulders were always killing me by the time I got finished.

I still think the Bjorn is an awesome carrier for tiny babies. It's a more of a secure pocket than the beco or ergo carriers. However, it puts all the weight on your shoulders and doesn't have a waist belt. It also can't carry a baby in any position other than on your front. Which gets to be a bit of a problem when your baby is big enough that you're always trying to peer around her head when walking around. The Bjorn is less comfortable for your baby too, she's hanging by her crotch only instead of fully seated with the weight of her body on her butt and thighs the way she is in the Ergo carrier and the Beco carriers.

I knew I wanted the Ergo, the Beco Butterfly, or the Beco Gemini. I fairly quickly ruled out the Butterfly because it's only advantage over the Gemini and Ergo is it's got an inside panel, which makes your baby on your back a little easier. But, I figured plenty of women manage with the other two carriers, it can't be that hard. The Ergo and the Gemini can both do back carry, hip carry, or front carry. But, the Gemini can do front carry baby facing front. Which lots of people rabidly claim is terrible for your baby because she's going to get overstimulated and can't see your face. They can say what they will, but Munchies gasps, shrieks with joy, and smiles at people like crazy facing front, you simply can't deny that she enjoys it. I tried the Ergo and Gemini on side by side and found that they felt almost the same on me, except for the hip padding on the Ergo didn't quite extend far enough to cover my hip bones. The Ergo seemed like it might have felt slightly lighter on my shoulders due to the way the baby sits. The ergo is designed so Munchies armpits were rubbing against the carrier when her arms were out as they're supposed to be. The Gemini has more padding where her armpits are, as well as rounded cutouts for her arms. The Gemini comes up higher behind her with the headrest portion folded up, which meant she could lean her head back against it sleeping or not. The Ergo has a sleeping hood, but it totally blocks her vision if she wears it not sleeping. The Ergo has superior padding in the shoulders and hip belt, and a superior sternum buckle. Basically, the Ergo is built stronger and better, while the Beco has the superior design. Although, even the Beco could be greatly improved upon in my opinion. I had to choose the Beco because it was more comfortable on Munchies armpits and she could lean her head back.

I'm considering working up the motivation to design my own carrier and try to market it. It seems like a daunting task, but I think it would truly be better than any of the carriers I've read about. Hmmm.

6 comments:

  1. How cute. They are wearing matching hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth experimenting with the project, if only to create the perfect carry for your own use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a more modern version but this the way the Mayan women carry their babies. http://www.mayawrap.com/
    I never used one of those, I just carried them myslef or used the basket thing that attached to the stroller and the car seat.
    Good idea on designing a new one though. You design it, I choose the material patterns, deal?
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can build your own sling, http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty excited to see what you whip up, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, yes Sammy we all have matching hats. They're this super dorky kind that are really good for protecting from sun.

    Anna, the reason the wraps/slings don't work very well for my purposes is they don't have a strong hip belt (and some have no hip support at all). My main use for a carrier is hiking, so I really need the best possible hip belt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails