Aug 10, 2010

Red Pine Lake


 I also hiked to Dog Lake since my last hiking post, but the gps data got screwed up because I forgot to turn off the watch until I had driven halfway back down the canyon. I'm going to be hiking to Dog Lake again Wednesday, so I'll just post the gps data from that hike.

Here is the Red Pine Lake gps data.


Round Trip Distance: 6.32 miles
Starting/Ending Elevation: 7637/9647
Round Trip Time: 3 hours
Shade: 75%
Baby Carrying Comfort: Last mile is very steep, it's a long way to have to be extremely cautious. Doable, but I outsourced it to Tim and I'm not sure I would want to do it myself.
Overall Difficulty: 70%
Trail Pleasure Scale: 80% Beautiful, but slightly grueling for the last mile.
Destination Pleasure Scale: 100% flowers everywhere, green, stunning lake.
Best Time of Year: August. Before August you have to hike through the snow, and after August it gets chilly up there.

Dogs Allowed?: No
Canyon Fee: No

We had to try three times to hike this one this year. The first time we ran into snow with 3/4 of a very steep mile to go. The second time it began raining hard, hailing, and booming thunder. I brought a jacket to cover munchies, and she was as happy as ever in the middle of the storm.

Here's a nice picture of the view down the canyon you see after about 1.5 miles.


Third time was a charm. This is one of the prettiest hikes around. Especially the last leg of the hike, there are flowers everywhere.



You're also surrounded by mountains, the tops of which are pretty awesome in places. This picture didn't quite capture them clearly, but the formations on the tops of these mountains were cool.


Pretty river along the way.


The lake is impressive. Or, rather the reservoir. There is a dam, but I was confused because I thought a reservoir would be getting low by this time of year.



It got chilly by the time we reached the lake. The wind was blowing fiercely and we had to hide behind the dam. Here was our view of the lake.


At least the view the other way was green and pretty.

5 comments:

  1. huh. I can't believe I didn't realize this was a reservoir. It's super pretty. and munchies looks so cute peeking out from your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hike! I was looking at the terrain map from your GPS data and noted that Steve, Seth, Hans, and I hiked this years ago... back in the mid 90s. We continued on up to Pfiefferhorn. That is an awesome peak. I doubt Zoenator would enjoy the howling wind and yawning exposure up there. But maybe one day you guys would want to go all the way up there. There are some amazing lakes up there. We camped at Lake Hardy which is past Pfieff one June. It snowed a bit on us at night, but was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever been to this lake. Glad you finally made it.
    Love the photo of Munchies in the rain jacket, and the one of you in the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know for sure, I mean, why is it still completely full if it's a reservoir? I tried googling it and didn't find much. But, I suppose the dam trumps all when deciding if it is or not.

    You're liking the gps data feature, huh Eric? I wondered if anyone actually looked at it. Yeah... howling wind and babies usually don't mix. Sounds like a great trip though.

    Mama, Tim actually said it looked like your style picture when I was posing for the flower one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! I like the picture with Zoey looking peeking out- so cute. I've been there before. I remember whoever I went with was boulder-hopping on those boulders, and at some point it got a little out of control. In fact, I may have gone a second time with my WM hiking class.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails