Maple and Brown Sugar Granola Bars

Another MSPI friendly recipe I've been using a lot lately. I found without being able to have soy oil in any amount that most pre packaged food is off limits to me. Other than fruit, it's nice to have something to snack on that you don't have to prepare. Store bought granola bars all have milk ingredients or soy oil, and they're something I used to eat a lot of. My mom suggested making them from scratch, and I found this recipe. I had to tweak it of course, because nuts and fruit in granola bars? Ick. Here's what I ended up with, and let me tell you, it is deelicious. I double the recipe and freeze most of it. When I go on a hike I put a frozen bar in my pack, and by the time I eat it, it's thawed. At home I put one in the microwave for a few seconds and its all warm and soft.

3/4 cup maple syrup (or maple flavored syrup)
1/2 cup butter (fake butter in my case, earth balance to be specific)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
2 cups quick oats (I think I usually use a little less, just stir them in until it slightly difficult to stir more in, however, don't wait until it's nearly impossible to stir more in unless you want a granola bar that tastes more healthy)

Spread it in a pan and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until edges brown.

Comments

  1. I'll have to try it WITH nuts in the granola bar. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should start posting a pic along with the recipe. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you're one of those sophisticated people who enjoy more than 3 ingredients per food item. :) Yep, you'd probably like the original recipe better in that case.

    Sammy, ok, I've posted pics for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nuts and fruit sound good to me. But since I've tasted this, I'd have to recommend it even with minimal ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting the pic. They look delicious. I will request a taste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment