Aug 9, 2010

Avocado Smoothie

I've had to make an effort to get enough fat in my diet ever since I had to eliminate dairy due to Munchies' MSPI. Recently, I realized avocados are one of the healthiest sources of fat and started eating one every couple of days at least. Normally, I just put some italian dressing in the seed hole and eat them that way. But, I found a recipe for a smoothie and thought I'd try it. I adapted it a lot to get something I really liked. When I was drinking it this afternoon I kept saying "Mmmmmmm" out loud it was so good. Basically, it's the creamiest most delicious orange julias ever, except green. You can't actually taste the avocado, but it does lend an amazing creaminess to the smoothie.

1 avocado
1 cup milk (vanilla almond milk in my case)
3 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Now, blend it all to oblivion. I can tell you from experience if there are still green chunks floating around it really puts a damper on the outcome.
Add 1-2 cups of ice, blend to your desired texture.

5 comments:

  1. I love avocados. Im a big fan of eating them on top of some wheat toast with lemon and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this is what Darleen used to drink that Stella loved so much. Is Munchies begging for a sip yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blender is just terrible so I have this feeling that I'm gonna be trying it green chunky style when I make it. I'm still excited though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Guacamole! smash the avocado and you can add whichever of these that you like, Lime juice, Salt to taste, Oregano (I leave this one out), chopped up tomatoes, chopped up onions ( i don't do the onions) chopped up cilantro. My mom will eat it on a tortilla with a grilled hot dog in it, she says it's good. I like the guacamole alone with chips myself.
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama, maybe, hopefully she'll comment and we can find out! Or else I'll have to remember to ask her. I give some to Munchies but she isn't crazy about it, the cold seems to weird her out a little.

    Laura, that is unfortunate. You'll have to fear factor style pound that. That's what Tim had to do when mine came out chunky. It appeared to be ground up bugs. Oops. I shouldn't be telling you this. Well, maybe you should have one over at my house instead...

    Sammy and Anna, good ideas. I'm going to need some alternative ways to get my avocado soon when the weather cools down. I'm going to try both of these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails