Jul 12, 2010

Attempt at a Thaynes Canyon-Desolation Loop Hike


I wanted to do a loop hike I've done before from the Desolation trailhead up Millcreek Canyon. Shortly after you start up the desolation trail it branches east into Thaynes Canyon. You can take that up 1.5 miles and 2,000 feet until you hit the desolation trail which has wrapped around west and then back east to meet up with the Thaynes Canyon trail. Along the way you pass a spring coming straight out of the mountain. Unfortunately Laura and I couldn't find the turnoff back onto Desolation trail. It was really steep too which made it tough carrying babies. After bushwhacking a bit trying to find the right trail we decided to bag it and go back the way we came. The loop is better though, because it’s 3 miles back, so half as steep. Also, you pass a beautiful city overlook. Tim claims to know how to find the route for this loop, so I'm going to need to return with him and figure out the right way to do it.

I love all this greenery above the trail off of the Thaynes Canyon trail, or below the trail if you take the Desolation portion. This is where Tim and I had my dad take our engagement pictures.

7 comments:

  1. So pretty! STILL jealous of your hikes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your comments! Hey, what's up with you not blogging recently? You must update your blog, it's been awhile. We demand it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes...I know. I kind of took a mental break from most of my thoughts for awhile. Blogging sort of opens the floodgates in that respect. I think that's also why I took a break from reading others' blogs as well. I think I was just afraid of my own thoughts and/or being inspired and tempted into composing one before I was ready. I'm feeling ready to get back into it again soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes sense. Well, I'm eagerly awaiting your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that green area. It makes a great place for a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're gonna have to start using maps and a GPS! You're getting pretty serious with the hiking this summer. Awesome. Btw, I enjoyed reading your "character" pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Eric. Tim has a gps watch, I always forget to bring it though. I need to start remembering so that I can actually figure out where I'm going on some of these hikes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails