Jun 3, 2010

The Zoo and My Zoo

We took Zoey to the zoo on Sunday. Turns out she is too young. She was more interested in watching the people. The animals were too far away, and when she did notice them she was like, "So what? I see those things all the time at home, except at home they kiss me and I can pet them." Ah well, I jumped the gun a little. The main reason I wanted to take her was to pet animals in the petting zoo, but they removed it! My dad thinks it's because too many kids were contracting e coli from the animals. Good to know so that if I ever find a place where she can actually pet animals I know to wash her hands really well right after.

She has been showing a lot of interest at the pets at home so I thought it was worth a try. I need to get a video of her with Zeus. She loves him especially because he lays next to her whereas the dogs avoid her. As soon as he comes close her eyes light up and she quickly reaches her hand out to grab his fur. Requires constant monitoring, because I don't expect Zeus to take kindly to grabbing. I always put my hand between hers and his face. So far though he hasn't tried to bite me. She has a great time with his fur, it feels very cool to her.

Sadie so far is the biggest problem. We're going to have to find another home for her. Ever since she grew out of puppyhood I knew she wasn't going to be a good kid dog. She has no patience and she's too dominant. She does let me do anything I want to her and is extremely tolerant, I had hoped that would be how it was with my kids. However, she is viewing Zoey as more similar to a cat than to me. Sadie always takes it upon herself to keep the cats in line. They get on the coffee table, she's there herding them off. Same with scratching anything as well as numerous other things that she deems not allowed. Zoey was on her back on the floor near Sadie, and when Zoey thumped her feet down loudly Sadie lunged over at her the same way she lunges at the cats to keep them in line. She didn't make contact, but it made me realize that Sadie is just never going to be a reliable kid dog. For now I can leave her out if Zoey is on the floor, but I won't be able to do that forever. Before I know it Zoey will be able to sneak outside and I can't have Sadie being out there on my mind. If anyone knows of a good home for her let me know. Hopefully I can find her a home with a young person who's active. She's such a great dog for someone without kids.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know Zoey likes Zuess so much. Is there such a thing as a good kid cat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about Sadie. That's such a hard decision but it sounds like it's the only way. I'll keep on the lookout for someone who needs a dog that keeps cats in check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if Zeus will really be a good kid cat once she starts pulling on his fur hard. We shall see.

    Thanks Kristina, yeah, let me know if you hear of anyone. Keeping cats in check is a very important feature many people look for in a dog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's been SUCH a long time since I've visited the Blogger. And I'm so, so sorry to hear that you'll have to get rid of Sadie.

    Oh, so Thanksgiving Point has a petting farm, complete with hand-washing & hand-sanitizing stations. Just so you know...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails