Jun 17, 2010

Vaccination Anticipation

I've been splitting Munchie's vaccinations into 3 weeks instead of getting them all at once each time. No way to know if this is actually beneficial, but I figure it could be and I have the time. 6 vaccinations at once just seems like a lot for a tiny body to process.

Today was her second trip for her 6 month vaccinations. The nurse started swabbed her leg and Zoey didn't react, but when she looked over and saw the orange tray the shots are kept on each visit, she started to cry. I'm not really sure what exactly triggered her memory, but the point is, she knew what was coming and she wasn't happy about it. I thought she was too young to anticipate pain that way. It was very sad. In a way cool though, because that seems pretty smart of her. After she calmed down and we left the room several different people saw the big tear hanging on her cheek and commented how sad it was. Poor Munchies.

She hasn't gotten a fever, but she has been acting a little different since her shot. She's been very hyper, babbling and shrieking much more than usual. She hasn't been crying, but she doesn't seem very content either. She's napping now, hopefully she'll wake up happier.

7 comments:

  1. The poor baby is probably wondering when the next shot is coming! I'm not surprised she put together the scenario and realized what was coming, since she seems to anticipate the webcam. She's a smart girl.
    Hope she's feeling better in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Munchies definitely appears to be developmentally advanced for her age! I always hated taking in a happy baby for shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, I didn't think about how she gets so excited when skype starts to ring. That does make sense then. Although, we skype almost daily, sometimes several times a day just for a quick second to say hi to Tim. She got shots a week ago, but before that it had been two months. She just woke up and seems happy today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably the benefit of having it all done at once! I know for me, just anticipating that pain is coming is usually a lot worse than the pain itself! And it only gets worse as they get older. When Dallin was sick last year all I had to do was pull into the parking lot at the hospital & he'd start crying & say "no more pokies Mom!" So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Tatiana's advice. I too will hand carry in such a case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Nikki I agree it sounds like it's worse when they get older. Poor Dallin. :( At least you're finally worry free with him.

    Laura, it's been awhile since I laughed so hard a comment. Now I'm forced to leave the spam comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh...I HATE Vaccination time. Ryker's always been a trooper, but I just hate knowing that it startles and hurts him. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails