Jun 11, 2010

A Girl and Five Brave Horses

This is the book on which the movie Wild Hearts Can't be Broken is based. I have loved this movie since I was young and watched it many times. I saw it on TV the other day and was inspired to read online about the real Sonora. I found out that she wrote an autobiography. The library actually didn't have it, interestingly it was just republished within the last year or two and previously copies were very hard to come by, costing over a hundred dollars for a beat up copy. Now, they're available on good old trusty amazon new. I read that the book is much different than the movie. Sonora actually was said to be disappointed by the movie because it was so different.

I thought the book was great. It is a lot different than the movie. Instead of focusing on the love story, the book focuses on the horses. She describes each horses personality and how they're trained. She also described Doc Carver much more than she describes Al. Being a romantic at heart I was curious about Al too, but alas, there isn't much description. She also spends a lot of time describing exactly how she dealt with being blinded. She was just such an inspiring person. I won't tell anything else in case anyone plans to read it, but I'll leave you with the quote she came up with to describe being blind: "Blindness is not so much a tragedy as it is a damn nuisance."

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to bring it for you when we meet up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It comes from a book!? My sister and I drove our brother insane watching that movie. I keep meaning to get a hold of it so I can indoctrinate my own daughters early :)

    But I didn't know there was a book! I guess it makes sense, but stil... I'm completely excited now.

    If you like the autobiographical awesome woman sort of stories you'll LOVE 'West with the Night' It's one of my favorites and worth reading multiple times. It's about a woman in Africa who becomes the first person to fly from England to North America. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you'll like it as much as I did. I'm definitely adding West with the Night to my list, I'm always looking for a good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for telling me about the book when we last met, AND for blogging about it. I DEFINITELY need to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails