No Really, Goodbye All Dairy and also Soy

Munchies went to the doctor today because I spoke too soon and more blood appeared. Still not a large amount, little enough that serious diaper inspection had to happen to see it. But, enough that if I can't modify my diet to stop it, I'm going to be forced to put her on formula. Even though formula is cow's milk, they break the proteins down into small pieces that most babies can handle. I really don't want to give up breast feeding yet. When I started I thought I'd do it for 6 months and then taper off, but now that she's almost 5 months old I don't feel close to ready to stop. Breast feeding really is amazing. I'm now thinking I want to do it for 9 months or a year. So, I'm cracking down on the milk and soy as of today. It's surprising to me exactly how much of what I eat contains dairy or soy traces. Most bread, cereal, granola bars, creamer, pasta, even most spaghetti sauce... and the list goes on and on. I'm finding it more helpful to look at lists of what I can eat instead of what I can't. Those lists are much shorter. Luckily for me MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance) isn't incredibly uncommon in babies so there are many lists of things I can eat. Today I'm going to a Whole Foods store to see what I can find. I'll report back on what I find tasty.

Comments

  1. Very cool! I probably would've done the same thing if I had continued to produce, since Ryker was really sensitive to SOMETHING in my diet. I'm glad you're able to still nurse Zoey and that MSPI is common enough for you to easily find foods that won't upset her tummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the new diet cures the problem. Who knows, you might end up with a healthier diet yourself out of this. I must say, consuming most of your calories from milk, cereal, granola bars, and mac anc cheese probably isn't any better for you than it is for Munchies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are lovin' nursing, keep at it! She'll get so much more from you than formula. Sorry to hear about all the allergies she is having. It's very common though. That's why I go organic! And I promise you...if you keep drinking almond milk you will get use to it. It's my favorite. I can't even drink cow's milk without gagging.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment