Minnesota

A family member found out she/he had to have a surgery recently. It was a scary situation because the surgery was a tricky one and the outcome was uncertain. I found out that I cope with tough situations by believing that everything will be okay in the end and if they aren't, well, I'll deal with it then. Others come to grips with the possible outcomes beforehand. I'm undecided which is the healthiest method, but as it turned out, mine worked well for me since the outcome has been mostly good. It's been a little over two weeks since the surgery and although recovery has taken an incredible amount of effort on the patient's part, it is going well overall and it appears that she/he will recover fully soon.

The surgery was done at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Tim and I went there for a week to help out. We were planning to stay for longer, but I got sick and ended up quarantined in my hotel room in attempts to not make matters worse by infecting the person I was there to help. I was able to help for 5 days or so before it hit, so I guess it could have been worse.

While we were there we took a few walks on a great path near our hotel.





If you look closely at this picture you can see Zoey peeking out.


I wish there were a path like this near my house. My first time on the path I accidentally veered off of it and ended up in the ghetto. I kept thinking I was about to run into the path again, and then I found myself jogging through a deserted industrial area. Most of the buildings were vacant, graffiti was abundant, and men stood around in clusters loitering and smoking. Oops. Fortunately I found the path again after a few minutes. Tim had a little scare of his own a few days later when I came down with my cold. It was 1 in the morning and I couldn't get to sleep because my nose was so clogged up. He valiantly struck out on foot to a nearby gas station to check for magical spray stuff. After hearing my vivid description of the ghetto nearby he asked the clerk what he thought of the neighborhood. The clerk pointed to a run down house across the street and said, "Well, there's the local crack house." On his walk home Tim was followed by a man singing and talking loudly to himself.

Zoey did great on the trip. She loved the airport, plane and even the hospital. I wore her around in the baby bjorn most of the time and she had her eyes wide open staring at everyone, smiling, and kicking her legs around gleefully. She melted many a heart. She is a regular woman magnet. I was approached everywhere we went and told how cute she is. It was a relief that she did so well, but I am glad to be home. Staying in a hotel is fine, but it's nice to have everything you need when you need it (like magical spray stuff for example).

Comments

  1. I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went smoothly and the recovery is, so far, going well too. Wow, you & Tim had some pretty scary situations while you were there! I bet it was sooooo nice to be back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "magic spray" run in the middle of the night sounded hair-raising. Glad nothing bad happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprising at all that zoey was melting hearts left and right out there. And it really is awesome that recovery is going about as well as you could expect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment