Actor Blind

I have always thought that John Cusack and Edward Norton look very similar and I'm always mistaking one for the other. Over the years I have become aware that apparently* no one shares this thought with me, and in fact, no one else even thinks they look similar at all. It's very strange. I guess it's kind of like being color blind except with those two particular actors. The one way I have found of telling them apart is John Cusack has a smooth baby face. Well, Tim and I turned on the TV and there was Being John Malkcovitch, which incidentally is an awesome movie if you haven't seen it. There on the screen I saw a man who appeared to be Edward Norton. I was sure of it. His face was covered with a beard, so clearly it could not be John Cusack. Tim asked me, "Is that John Cusack?" There it was. My moment of triumph. I laughed joyfully and informed him that he'd just fallen victim to mistaking Edward Norton for John Cusack, the very thing he has mocked me for in the past. In a moment of foolish self doubt I hit info on the remote and.... oh no... disaster!! It was in fact John Cusack on the screen. Damn!! Well, John Cusack, you've done it again, you've camouflaged yourself as Edward Norton. And this time even Tim, for the briefest moment, wondered if you were indeed Edward. Touche. See, wouldn't you agree that the beard takes everything you thought you knew and spins it around so that you feel all confused and conflicted? I bet you can't even tell who's who. And if you say you can, you're lying and fall into the category of those who "apparently*" can tell.



* It's clear to me that those who disagree with me are doing so only to toy with my mind.

Comments

  1. Hmm...well...they both have tiny mouths I guess. And they are both male. And actors. So if that's where you're coming from then they're pretty much twins. Being John Malkcovitch really is an awesome movie though. I can't believe you haven't seen it till now. What a fool I've been for never bringing it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've seen it before. I just didn't know if it was John or Edward before. Or, maybe I did and then promptly forgot, which is what will probably happen again soon. This just goes along perfectly with how the other day we were talking about how I'm a real dunce when it comes to movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've confused them before, too. Maybe it's in the genes. Our genes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post for many reasons but mostly because I'm a HUGE fan of John Cusack! I have to say that I've never had trouble distinguishing between Ed Norton and Cusack, but that's probably because one of my fave movies is Say Anything. I haven't seen Being John Malkcovitch yet, but I'll be sure to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm...I gotta say, Tess, I don't even remotely see the resemblance. However, you've blogged about two of my favorite actors, so I'll let this lapse in judging actors slide...just this once though! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment