You'll be shocked to hear that Mastitis is not a picnic

Thursday I had the heat cranked up to 72 and I was wearing a jacket and a vest around the house wondering why in the world it was still so chilly. Friday in the wee morning hours I woke up drenched in sweat and thought that was pretty strange. I had a thermometer laying next to my bed since I'd been obsessively taking Zoey's temperature to make sure she wasn't sick and I popped it in just out of curiosity. I had around 100 degrees of fever. I took some Tylenol and by the time I got up for the day, or would have anyway, my temperature was up to 101.5. I figured I must have the flu and took some more Tylenol. By Friday around 4 my temperature was 103 and I was absolutely freezing even with two huge blankets on snuggling with Tim. I called my dad, since he's a doctor. He said the flu, which I thought I had up until that point, should have responded to the Tylenol and I needed to go to the ER and get checked for various postpartum infections. I was pretty worried at that point because when my temperature went up 3 degrees after Tylenol I was really wondering exactly when my brain was going to start frying from fever. My parents decided to make the 2.5 hr drive over because they were worried too. We didn't want to take Zoey to the ER so we called Tim's parents who live about 45 minutes away to see if they could come watch her. Fortunately, they happened to be in the area and were able to make it to our house in about 10 minutes, before we were even ready to go.

The waiting room wasn't that crowded and I got seen within a couple of hours, which in my experience isn't all that bad of a wait for an ER. My resting pulse was up to 127 so they hooked me up to an IV and pumped some fluids into me. When I changed into the hospital gown I noticed a big red area on one of my boobs that I hadn't noticed at home. They were going to have to catheterize me, which I was terrified of. But, the doctor came in and when I showed him the red area he was like, "Wow! There we go. You don't need any more testing. This is pretty much as obvious as Mastitis gets." I was so relieved I wouldn't have to be catheterized. I really have a phobia of that, and now I can go a little longer without having to experience it. They pumped some antibiotics into my IV and I made it home in enough time that we didn't have to resort to formula for Zoey. My temperature had already dropped to 99.5 by then and it was almost totally gone by Saturday. I've still got to finish up my course of antibiotics and then cross my fingers that I don't get Mastitis repeatedly. The good thing about it is that I can kiss Zoey all I want and not have to worry about getting her sick. Mmmmwwwwaaahhhh!

Big thank yous to all parents for being there to help us out during this exciting Friday night!

Comments

  1. That was all the excitement I want for awhile. Just glad you've made a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for ya. I got it when Dallin was 3 weeks old & I was in so much pain I skipped breast-feeding for just one day. For some reason that was enough to stop the flow altogether & I never could get it back. Glad you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if your mom was out there for a visit, but I'm sorry to hear it wasn't under fun circumstances. I had mastitis once and once was enough for me. I didn't get the bad fever, though. Hope you don't get it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurse, nurse, nurse. I got mastitis twice with lucas and the antibotic killed my milk. I haven't gotten it again but next time I'm taking homepathic medicine so my milk doesn't get depleted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't realize mastitis was so common!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh, I am so sorry to hear that you had gotten Mastitis! As if breastfeeding, alone, isn't a challenge enough as it is. Women have to risk getting Mastitis too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment