Oct 10, 2009

For sell



I was placing an ad on KSL and happened to notice this. I've selected the text in question for you. Now, I'm going to really embarrass myself here if this is somehow correct, and please don't hesitate to let me know if I'm way off. However, I feel fairly confident that this is simply a case of people write things as they say them, unaware of how a basic word is spelled. KSL is a Utah news source and news website. How could it be that someone who works for a news website has actually avoided reading enough that they think that you are going to "make a sell"? I always notice when someone says sell when they mean sale, and I used to assume they knew the word was spelled sale. The last year or two though, I've noticed "for sell" written on signs and now here on KSL. I wasn't old enough to notice this stuff when I lived in Texas, but I now wonder if people are writing things about "hell storms" or writing "what the hail??"

4 comments:

  1. I don't recall ever seeing "for sell" used anywhere but in Utah. "Make a sell?" Weird.
    Don't recall anyone misspelling hail/hell usage in East Texas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a trailer home in Dry Fork with a sign on it that said: FREE U HALL. Somehow I'm just not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was talking with my sister about people's inability to spell anymore just the other day. Is it from texting or something? All the abbreviations people use are just becoming the standard spelling & now there are no rules on how to spell these simple words? This is one of my biggest pet peeves. When I saw the title of this blog post I got really worried about you until I clicked on it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails