Sep 25, 2009

Oh, the inconvenience of it all

At my last doctor's appointment I asked him if he allows delivery in different positions other than the standard on your back. He said that sometimes he will, but it is very inconvenient. Hmm... inconvenient. Clearly not inconvenient for me, since tears occur more often in that position than in almost any other position, since I'm not getting any help from gravity on my back, and since laying on my back is ill advised during pregnancy in general because a major blood vessel is compressed by the uterus. Clearly not inconvenient for my baby whose heart rate can drop due to the decreased blood flow. Obviously he feels that patients pay him thousands of dollars so that he can be the one convenienced. He went on to weakly site how much of a hassle it can be to hand the baby off to the mom if she is in any position other than her back. No mention of safety concerns or any other seemingly legit reasoning. Now, there are a lot of other things he has said that have bothered me in the past, but this took the cake. We promptly decided to revisit the idea of a midwife instead of a doctor. We'd interviewed one midwife before, but didn't feel like she was quite what we were looking for. We met with another this week, and both really liked her. I called and made the switch, and happily am now under the care of someone who I am paying thousands of dollars to make birth convenient for me (safety allowing of course).

6 comments:

  1. Uh, totally for the doctor's convenience. Good move to switch to someone who will be interested in your convenience. Whatever happened to birthing poles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a generally inconvenient sunuvagun that doc is. Glad you didn't take his sass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doc just turned out to be too inconvenient for you to put up with. Birthing poles? I guess I missed out on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, what are these birthing poles? I haven't heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what birthing poles are, but I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome you decided to find someone else after talking with that doc...I'm glad you didn't settle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I wish I made doctor switches on my first birth. It something I definitely regret still today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails