Wochenende

That's German for weekend, fancy, huh? Except if it is spelled wrong. Then I guess it isn't fancy, it is illiterate, but I don't have the will power to look it up. This weekend the weather was finally amazing. Warmth is really here and it feels like summer again. I spent a lot of the weekend outside reading on the deck and it was just as glorious as I had hoped it would be. I read Sphere by Michael Crichton, and when I reached the end I realized it probably seemed so familiar because I had read it before. Oh well, it was still good the second time around, that Crichton really keeps me riveted. I also found this new author who I started reading recently named David Ellis, his stuff is kinda John Grisham style, and I really like it. I read Life Sentence and now I'm reading Jury of One, good stuff.

I went jogging a few days in a row and then Sunday I went hiking up Millcreek Canyon. My feet are trashed. Every spring my feet get covered with blisters and within a month they are covered in callouses. They look pretty gross all summer long as a result. I like to wear sandals and I ain't scared even though I'm confident people must notice the hideousness. I wear it as a badge of pride, I do stuff, what of it? Anywho, I digress. I went up Desolation Trail to the city overlook. The hike is only two miles each way, but it is pretty steep and I'm not sure if I can blame pregnancy or not, but I was tired when I got done. On the way up I passed these two guys and one stopped to warn me very seriously about how there was an aggressive white terrier ahead on the trail. On a side note, I actually knew the guy because we lived in the dorms at the U at the same time, but I had on a hat and huge sunglasses so he didn't recognize me, and I didn't remember his name anyway. I was concerned, because pit bulls are terriers and after all, and Sadie was torn up by one not so long ago, so hearing about an aggressive terrier is a bit of a soft spot for me. After telling me about this aggressive dog, the guy then assured me that I shouldn't worry, the dog wasn't too big, which left me a little confused as to why he would warn me so gravely about the situation. I went up the trail, nervously calling the dogs close to me and confirming that my mace was close at hand (Tim wasn't with me, so I was totally going to mace any strange dudes who tried to attack me). And... on and on I went for a good 20 minutes before finally passing a white terrier on the trail. Think Toto off of The Wizard of Oz, but white. Like the size of my cat. And quite congenial to boot. While I was relieved that the danger was passed, I was quite baffled by the warning I had received. What was the dealio with that dude?? Tim claims it must have been a desperate attempt to strike up a conversation, but to me it seems that would be a lot worse than not saying anything, because obviously he was going to look foolish when I discovered the dog he meant. I do think it was funny though, whatever the reason was.

Tim was out of town last week through Sunday night working to finish up a job in Vegas that he got. It was the first job he has had in a long time, and he wasn't sure when he would get another job, so he thought he better go out for the last half to make sure it went well. He used to travel all the time when we were first dating for years, but in the last two years he hasn't had to leave at all. I was really in the groove of him being home, so it sucked for him to be gone, even though he wasn't even gone quite a week. He didn't like being gone any more than I did, probably less since he has to actually work hard and all whereas I was lounging in the sun, and he hopes to avoid going out of town for another couple of years. It seems like things for his company might be looking up, because he has now gotten another job, starting tomorrow actually, which he was able to round up a crew for at the last minute. And he also has a couple of other in town jobs that it looks like he will get. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the worst of the slump in construction is over, that would be quite a relief.

Pregnancy wise I'm happy that I'm getting close to the end of the first trimester, only a couple more weeks to go. I'm going to wait until after my appointment next Wednesday and then I will probably go ahead and tell my work. As far as how I'm feeling and looking, really no changes since I last posted at week 9. It seems like just in the past couple of days I might be feeling a little less nausea, but it has been so mild anyway it is hard to tell for sure. Definitely still sleeping more than usual, but I've heard you get more energy in the second trimester which I'm looking forward to. I've been slacking on taking weekly pictures, but I look exactly the same still, so I figure I'll make up for it by taking a couple of pictures a week when something is actually changing for my cool progression video I have planned.

Here I didn't think I had much to say, and I've written your eyes off. Why don't people say that? If you can talk someone's ear off I don't see why not.

Comments

  1. Love the terrier story. Yeah, what was up with that dude getting you all worked up over nothing? I agree with Tim, he just wanted to talk with you. And I'm glad to hear the pregnancy is going well...Tess, I bet you won't start showing until your 8th month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I've fallen behind on both reading and writing blogs! I'm glad you're feeling relatively well and you're almost done with your first trimester. It goes by so fast, doesn't it? And don't feel too bad about not changing much in the tummy region. I didn't either. I'm just BARELY showing now and I'm almost 4.5 months along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment