Baking at 98.6 Degrees

I thought I'd get off of the pill and, bam, get pregnant right away. However, the pill sucks, which is something I intend to get into more detail about in another post. The point of this post though, is to say that a year after stopping the pill, we finally had success! I'm almost nine weeks pregnant and we went to the first prenatal appointment yesterday. The doctor did an ultrasound and we were able to see the heart beating. Well. Technically I couldn't see it, I was too far away, but Tim and the doctor saw it, so that is good enough for me. It was a little concerning at first, because when the doctor started the ultrasound he was looking at the screen for a minute, and the first thing he said was, "I don't see.... a second baby". I think Tim and I imagined the pause in the middle of the sentence being much longer than it actually was, but really, "I don't see" should be eliminated from a doctor's vocabulary when he is doing the first ultrasound, right? Or at least come after explaining that it all looks good. He said he had been seeing a lot of twins lately, and he seemed to feel like maybe the trend was going to continue, so that is why he was looking for a second baby. I thought it was pretty adorable when after we got home Tim confided that he felt annoyed that he couldn't stand next to me and hold my hand during the ultrasound. The room was small and there was only room on one side of me, where the doctor had to stand. I was so distracted by worrying about whether the ultrasound was going to show that things were normal or not that I didn't even think of it, but I'm still feeling really touched that Tim was actually thinking about that, what a guy. Other than the ultrasound they just took a bunch of blood which I probably won't hear back on for awhile. And my due date was estimated as December 4th.

As far as symptoms go, I feel lucky so far. Since around 6 weeks I've has some very mild morning sickness that kind of lingers off and on most of the day, especially when my stomach gets empty. But, usually if I eat a snack it goes away. And I've been sleeping a good two hours more per night than usual at least a few nights a week, and really feeling like I've needed it. I get real tuckered out around 9 PM. Oh, and can't forget the bloating. Apparently the pregnancy hormones make your digestion slow down and some women start getting bloated in the afternoon and evenings, and I am some women. I look like I'm around 5 months along at night, unless I suck in, but then I look totally normal in the morning.

I love jogging through the warm weather, but I had been reading that pregnant women need to make sure their heart rates don't get too high because then the blood can get redirected from the uterus to the muscles and the baby can get oxygen starved. Well, my heart rate really gets going when I jog, even if I am taking it easy it gets up in the 170's. I was relieved and excited when the doctor said that for the baby to get oxygen starved, I would feel extremely tired and it would be very obvious. He said as long as I feel good, and I am able to get out sentences, I don't have to worry about the heart rate. *Phew* I think I'll just take it really easy this summer and not run faster than 10 minute miles.

I'm going to try to remember to take a picture each week and post it up here, although, warning, the picture will probably be kind of boring and look the same every week for quite awhile. Sammy has requested that I take pictures too, so now I really have to remember. I do think it will be cool in the end to have the whole progression. What would really be cool is if I weren't too lazy to do a picture every day and take it in the exact same place and position. On youtube there are some videos of women who did that and then put the pictures all together in a series to music. It looks awesome. We'll see if I can remember to take more frequent pictures when some changes actually start happening.

Comments

  1. This is great news! Congratulations! I'm so happy about this and think your baby is going to be the cutest ever!

    Oh and good for you for planning on keeping up with the running. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's so darling that Tim wanted to be up there holding your hand. And you'll definitely have to take at least weekly pictures of your belly and then put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so the news is out! December 4th is a good due date. You don't have to be huge during the hot summer, and you can probably exercise through the warm months, no problem. This'll be a great Christmas present for you guys and for us grandies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, Wait. What? What is going on here? Tess is pregnant???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy! Mommy's going to have another dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! Just this week I emailed your mom and asked her if there was a baby in the future but she didn't spill the beans. How exciting! Soon you'll be a mommy blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is so exciting!!!!!
    Stupid ! can't explain how excited I am for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I haven't been on Blogger for awhile or I would have responded quicker...anywayyyy...CONGRATS Tess & Tim! That's SO AWESOME! We totally have to have play dates at the park or something since our little ones will be so close together in age! YAY YAY YAY!

    Isn't it SOOOO NICE when you are one of the lucky women who AREN'T bombarded with morning sickness? I was the same way, if I did get a little sick, it'd go away after a snack (or two). Anyway, I'm SO JEALOUS you already got an ultrasound. I still have to wait at least another month for my first one. It must've been such a wonderful experience. And TIM IS AWESOME for wanting to be there, holding your hand. Okay...I'm rambling. Can't wait for the pics of you, which reminds me that I probaly should start taking some of my own since I'm vaguely starting to show (finally).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, found you on authorblog. Congratulations!!
    1.For the pregnancy
    2.For being the Post Of The Day!!

    enjoy

    love
    chaitra♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, David has given you his post of the day award so it is congratulations all round. How wonderful that you are expecting a baby and what joy that you can see it so early.
    We old folk had to wait and see-it was exciting, but nerve wracking too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats for both the new baby and POtD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter and her husband just had a baby girl. She posted pics of herself on her blog periodically and it's been wonderful. I am happy for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'm over from authorblog. Congratulations on the great news and on the Post of the Day Award from authorblog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa...I totally missed this. This is so awesome. Congrats to you, and also tell Tim I said congrats and give him a big hug. You have to invite me to the shower. I give awesome presents...fer real.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment