Jan 23, 2009

Feeling proud of who I voted for

I'm a little late on this post, but then again, I just posted about Christmas, so I guess this is quite timely.

I watched the inaugural address last night, and I felt so fortunate to have this new president. The speech emphasized hope and integrity, two things we desperately need in a president now.

Some lines I particularly liked and want to remember:

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals." Perfectly worded. A concise reprimand and more importantly a promise not to manipulate people with fear tactics.

"Earlier generations understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint." In a sentence, the number one reason I voted for Obama.

"Your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." Kinda the same as above, but I couldn't pick.

"On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics."

As well as the content, I loved his delivery. He is such a wonderful speaker, there was so much feeling in what he said and the delivery was flawless. I even teared up during the speech... although... technically that isn't saying much since I tear up at practically anything remotely moving. I rarely cry at anything that happens to me personally, in fact, I think the last time was about two years ago after Sadie was attacked by a Pit Bull and had run off in the direction of a busy road. I didn't know how badly she had been hurt and I was running through the streets seething with anger at the owners of the dog and trying to find her. But, things outside of myself, those I tear up over in the blink of an eye. I guess I'm off topic officially now, but the bottom line is that the speech moved me. I felt like I was part of something magnificent. Although, I agree with Eric that Obama should've said God bless the world at the end, or universe even better, but otherwise it was absolutely flawless.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I loved it, too. And in his first couple of days, he's closed Gitmo, ended torture, stopped secret prisons, etc. Bush just made it so easy for Obama to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it, girlfriend! Bush really made it easy for Obama to look good.

    Glad the cloud in SLC hasn't devoured you yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails